We have received a report of an unknown person approaching a student waiting for a bus and asking them to enter their vehicle. A report has been made to the Hutchinson Police Department. Even if your student is not a bus rider, please take a moment to discuss safety with your student. No age is exempt from this concern.. For more resources, click on the links below:
parents/know-what-could- affect-your-child/personal- safety/what-you-need-to-know/ stranger-danger/
Talk about what to do when waiting for the bus and when getting off of the bus. A few tips you might want to share are below. If you or your child notice anything suspicious, please contact an administrator or the police immediately.
1. Never go anywhere with a stranger
2. Never get in a car with a stranger
3. Never go off on your own without telling your parents or a trusted adult
4. Encourage your child to YELL, KICK, or SCREAM if they feel they are in danger
5. Pay attention to your surroundings, avoiding looking down at a phone, tablet, or book when exiting the bus.
6. As you leave the bus head straight home.
7. When crossing the street take time to look both ways and be aware of corners where you might not be able to see a car or person coming around.
8. If possible, walk to and from the bus with a peer and don't leave anyone alone at a bus stop.
Thank you for taking the time to discuss this with your child. We want to make sure students are safe from the moment they leave your door to the moment they arrive back home.
Cindy Couchman, Superintendent